My Appendectomy Story


>><<

This is the sweet face I was staring at before I went to the Emergency Room one day. I wish the Natalie right now could tell the Natalie then to take it all in and kiss those cheeks because I wasn't going to see him for a while. 

I recently had my appendix removed. Never really thought that would happen to me! I felt like Madeline. Though I wish it were more like hers, being younger and having this surgery would have been better. I wanted to write about it so others who might be going through the same thing, or for anyone who is interested, could know what to expect. I was scared when I found out what it was, and I only found one blog post about it that was pretty helpful. 

Once upon a time (fairytale beginning for a horror story ha) I started having "stomach" problems. In late January it just popped up randomly. Usually when I would eat breakfast my stomach or really my upper abdomen would hurt with gassy pains, pressure, slight cramping and would last until after lunch time. All I wanted to do during those moments was lay in bed and go to sleep. Which I got to do sometimes but seeing as I have two boys (a one year old and a two month old at the time) that pleasure didn't always happen! I went around the world trying to figure out what was causing it. I thought it was something I was eating. So I proceeded to cut things out of my diet and *try* to keep a food journal (which I was horrible at doing).  This lasted for about two/three months.  On Easter Day we of course ate a big lunch. That evening I had pain like...I was in labor again only without the contractions. I think I ran a little fever too.  I thought, kidney stones? Gall stones? I don't understand!! We considered going to the ER but I got better and we decided to wait.  My brain was flying in a gazillion different directions and I exhausted google with looking up symptoms and researching different illnesses. Appendix never crossed my mind at this point.  The symptoms I was having are symptoms of...almost anything, haha.  I finally gave up drinking coffee just to see. I recently started drinking coffee and I would drink it first thing in the morning. On an empty stomach. Not good! Looking back, appendix or no appendix, I think that made things worse.  Don't doooo iiitttt. Anyway, when I stopped drinking coffee, I stopped having issues! Besides headaches...ha. But they somehow snuck their sneaky little annoying ways back in. I was so tired of it by now. I wanted answers. I definitely did NOT want to live like this. I looked up whole30 plans, gluten free diets, etc...thinking I was going to have to change my way of eating completely. I really thought it was my gall bladder. Mid April, things started getting worse. My mom was really worried and kept telling me to get a Dr appointment. Due to insurance problems it was really hard and nothing worked. I even went to an appointment, sat there filling out a ton of paper work, only to find out that office didn't take my insurance. I had called before hand, asked that question and got a YES but it was a miscommunication. I wanted to cry right there in the office and I think the nurse could tell...she was really sweet and even found out all the exact figures of how much the visit would cost without it. I almost went that route but my husband said wait, to not go with the visit that day, and we could reschedule after we talked more about it (he was at work when we talked). And boy am I glad he did. They would have just sent me somewhere else and it would have just been more money for us to say goodbye to (Side note: wives, even if it sounds crazy at the time and you don't agree, listen and obey your husband. I believe God commanded wives to do that for a reason. I know Justin isn't all knowing but he is wise and keeps his head in circumstances such as these).  I really was done about now. I waited for a few more days and finally called my original Dr again and just made an appointment for Friday, April 24th. Little did I know I'd actually be healing from a surgery by then. I'll continue my surgery story in another blog post.  I do hope this is a help for anyone who is having these symptoms. Feel free to comment, message or email me with questions you have and I can go into more detail.  If you are having strange symptoms, don't hesitate! Don't be afraid to say something and talk to somebody. If you have a friend who is a nurse or Dr, sayyyy somethiingggg. It's not silly. Can you tell I didn't say anything? I kept it to myself for the most part, and I hate to think what might have happened if I waited any longer! Listen to your body and what it's trying to tell you. Okay, I'm done being your mom now. Go eat some ice cream. 



This is me, reunited with my coffee after a long hard road without it. ;) 




No comments:

Post a Comment