Wisdom - Proverbs


>><<

Wisdom.
 
What is the secret?  How can I have that?  
 
Wisdom can be achieved by simply...fearing The Lord.  
 
There's no magic age for getting wisdom; it is not automatically attained when you become an adult, or a parent, or a grandparent.  It doesn't skip children or teenagers.  

It comes with the decision to fear God, honor his commandments and obey Him. 

I've been reading through Proverbs and my prayer right now is for God's wisdom.  
 
It is simple. Maybe not always easy...but simple. 

Proverbs chapter one tell us to//

•k n o w  i t• - "To know wisdom and instruction" verse 2 

•p e r c e i v e  i t• - "to perceive the words of understanding." [to make it clear] verse 2

•r e c e i v e  i t• - "To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity." verse 3 

•h e a r  i t + i n c r e a s e  i n  l e a r n i n g• - "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:" verse 5 

// WISDOM IS // 

The fear of The Lord - "The fear of The Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." verse 7

Listening to wise instruction - "My son, hear the instruction of your father, and forsake not the law of your mother:"

Not giving in to temptation or walking with sinners - "If sinners entice you, consent not." verses 10 [verses 10-19] 

Safe + a haven from fear of evil - "But whoso hearkens unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil." verse 33 

"When WISDOM enters into your heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto your soul; DISCRETION shall preserve you, UNDERSTANDING shall keep you."
 
p r o v e r b s  2 : 1 0  -  1 1
 
What beautiful, beautiful words those are to my heart.  Such an amazing promise (one of MANY) from our Lord Jesus. 
 
Some of the definitions of the word "discretion":
1.
the quality of behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offense or revealing private information.
2.
the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.
 
I've never considered myself to be naturally discerning. That's just not my personality or one of my character traits.  Oh how I wish it was sometimes!  I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made by God and that He gave me certain gifts and traits that come naturally to me.  I am not perfect. Yet I desire to become like Jesus, who is perfect!  So therefore, that means it's up to me to surrender to God the areas in my life that need total construction. 
 
When I met Justin one of the things that attracted me to him as I got to know him was that he was so passionate.  He is black and white about things, all or nothing. He is really good at being right a lot of the time.  For real.  Ugh.  ;)  Anyway, he is so discerning about things and can make good, responsible decisions.  He thinks ahead (prudence is another trait I am working on and would love love love to have.  It sure would spare me of a lot of things I do without thinking, ha!).  He challenged me to dig deeper into my Bible and figure out what I believe. 
 
I am so not that way naturally.  I have gotten better, but I do a lot of things without thinking about them first and not seeing the dangers + consequences.  All that to say this: 
 
It is SO comforting to know that a promise has been made.  A promise that when I soak up wisdom and knowledge and let it into my heart and soul, discretion and understanding will be with me. 
 
Relying on God to give me discretion and understanding is so relieving. 
 
When I keep the Lord's commandments and "bind them continually upon my heart" (Proverbs 6:21) wherever I go, those wise commandments will lead me, protect me and be with me and on my heart always. 
 
// WISDOM // Proverbs 8
 
Dwells with prudence - verse 12
Hates pride + the evil way - verse 13
Understanding and full of strength - verse 14
Full of durable riches + righteousness - verse 18
The fruit of wisdom is better than gold - verse 19
 
The benefits of obtaining wisdom is far better than any temporary reward we could receive or attain here on earth. It's fruit is far better than wealth.  It "leads in the way of righteousness..." (verse 20).  That is the way I want to go!
 
"The Lord possessed me in the beginning, or ever the earth was." (verse 22) Wisdom was with the Lord (the Lord IS WISE) from before the beginning of time.
 
"For whoso finds me, finds life, and shall obtain favor of the Lord." verse 35
 
Our God is so mighty and powerful and yet He cares so much for every single person that has ever and will ever exist.  He cares and gives us amazing promises like this one.  I desire to live every day of my life for His glory and walk in that wisdom that He gives us.  To fear the Lord. 

Wisdom must be heard, received, and used. 

"Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out." 

p r o v e r b s  2 0 : 5 

I desire to go deeper in The Lord.  It's no use to me to know wise commandments and not even live by them and use them.  Listen, know and use. 

Thanks for reading, The Lord has used his words from Proverbs to really work on my heart recently!  

>><<


 
 
 
  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment