Kyler Jace Turns One - May 4th 2014

 
 
 
>><<
 

Kyler recently turned 16 months old (September 4th).
 
SIXTEEN MONTHS, PEOPLE!
 
I have come to the point where, no, it doesn't feel like yesterday that I was in the hospital with him.  But...y'all.  Yesterday I was planning his first birthday.  And that's totally come and gone. 
 
Even though those particular moments are gone, I have tons of pictures to remember them by.  I love pictures. But I love the memories more! ;)
 
For the longest time I wanted Kyler to have a teepee to play in.  I thought that his birthday would be a good excuse to make him one!  That lead me to a "Cowboy and Indian" theme which was so fun to do. 
 
 
 My cute little cowboy had his suspenders and bibdana but no cowboy hat as was planned. :(  I ordered from online thinking it would come in time buuuut nope.  It turned out to be a good thing I think.  When he did get it, it stayed on his head for about 2 seconds. He likes it better on me.
 
 
 
 
I designed and printed his invitations.  One of my favorite things to do!
 
 
 
 
 I got my sweet sis-in-law to paint on rocks to hold the napkins/plates/cups down. 
 
 
 The cake turned out messy. Good, delicious, messy. You can't go wrong with homemade buttercream frosting! Funny story about this good, messy cake.  It wasn't even supposed to have frosting all over it, just in between the layers (Tomboy cake style).  I let the first cake layer cool. Frosted it. And did the same with the next layer.  I noticed the frosting was still melting off the cake so I let it cool longer. I finished it, but wasn't too pleased with the results. The frosting was just totally sliding off and out of the cake.  My husband got home from work and took a look at it.  He proceeds to pull off a layer of wax paper from the top of the cake! Whaaaat!? Yeah. I totally forgot to take the wax paper liner off each cake layer from when it was baking. Poor frosting couldn't help but slide right off.  So I ended up frosting the entire cake.  We had a good cry laugh over it.
 
The Trail Mix party favors were fun + simple to design and put together.  All you need is trail mix (store bought or homemade), brown paper bags from the Dollar Tree, bakers twine, tape and a design to put on the front of the bag.  I just drew mine, scanned it to the computer and printed it out. Then get all your sweet family members to assemble them for you! :)
 
 
Yummy Sherriff Badge cookies.
 
 
Kyler's birthday chalkboard I drew for him.  That "Personal Penguin" book has been read, sung, and chewed on to it's old age. 
 
 
 
The feather garland's were super easy to make and turned out so cute and whimsical.  I tied them on and hot glued them (just in case) to bakers twine and hung them in the trees. If you ever try making these be veeeery careful not to get them tangled.  Even if you're careful it'll probably happen. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The best part was watching him eat birthday cake for the very first time! I kind of thought my monster child would dig his hands into it, but he instead carefully examined it and didn't take a bite until I did. 
 
 
And then he was totally sold. 
 
 
 
This was the best picture we could get of the cousins, ha! I can't believe how tiny our little Lainey boo is! (Check out her mommy's blog here to see how stinkin' cute this baby girl is!)
 
My brother-in-law and sister of JL Photography (check their stuff out here) took the beautiful pictures at the party! My sis always comes to the rescue when I don't want to think about taking pictures but just want to enjoy the special moments! Like this one:
 
 
The one when my husband accidentally falls into a creek to catch a Frisbee and loses his nice flip flops to the mud, never to be seen again.  It was really quite comical.
 
We had a lovely time with friends and family, despite the horrid MS heat! It was so good to see and visit with everyone and see the love poured out on our baby boy.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment