Homemade Pockets





>><<

I've always wanted to blog a recipe but I felt like I never "owned" one enough.  We've only made these twice so I'm definitely not pro at this. But I love it and I wanted to share it! We had a lot of fun making this with the boys too. And that's not always the case hahaha. It's hard to cook/bake with little kids...but worth it! My boys love being involved! 


I combined two different recipes to make this. That might sound complicated but it's really simple. 
I used this pizza dough recipe from allrecipes.com for my dough. 
And I baked it using this hot pocket recipe from sallysbakingaddiction.com. 
We filled it using our imaginations! 






We made pizza pockets and ham and cheese pockets the first time. The second time we made ham and cheese and steak and cheese. So EASY and delicious! I've eaten store bought hot pockets and they are okay...I just thought homemade would taste so much better and I was right (FOR ONCE). 

The dough was easy and quick. First you put 1 .25 oz package of active dry yeast in a medium bowl with a teaspoon of sugar and one cup of warm water (110 degrees). Let it dissolve until creamy (I did about 10 minutes). 

Next, you stir in 2 1/2 cups of flour, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. You let that sit for about 5 minutes. 

We sprayed the bottom of a baking sheet and rolled our dough onto that (because we had it sitting on the table for the boys to reach). For our pizza, we spread marina sauce first, sprinkled cheese, and added our pepperoni. For our ham and cheese we sprinkled the cheese first and added the ham. For our steak, I bought a frozen bag of cut up steak to use in fajitas and used that along with mozzarella cheese and bits of onion and peppers. I like buying the frozen bag of chopped up onions and assorted peppers. I love fresh and do that too, but it's nice to always have those on hand! We kept it simple but I can imagine endless possibilities with the filling here! I want to invite my friends over soon for a play date and homemade hot pocket lunch and let our kids add the toppings. I can see that being so fun. and chaotic. and messy. but HEY. I'm used to that so it's all good. 

I baked them at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. I also did the egg wash (1 large beaten egg and 1 tablespoon of milk) and sliced it at the top for air vents. 

 



They might look a little messy but they were SO good.  I wanted to share because it was an easy dough recipe and if I can make it anyone can, hahahaha. So. On your marks, get set, BAAAAKE. 

(sorry. been watching too much of the Great British Baking Show ;) ) 





No comments:

Post a Comment